Coir is the fibrous material of the coconut fruit and is a completely homogenous material:
- The texture is consistent and uniform.
- It retains moisture well, as it is composed of millions of capillary micro-sponges that absorb and hold up to nine times it’s own weight in water. It has up to 27% of easily available water.
- It will hold and release nutrients in solution over an extended period of time without re-watering.
- It maintains an excellent air filled porosity (18%-23%).
- It has a natural pH of 5.7 to 6.5 and
- It has a naturally high lignin content which encourages favourable micro-organisms around the root zone.
Buffered Coir VS Washed Coir
- Buffered coir is the result of reversing the bonds that were made between the media and the salts, releasing the potassium and the sodium
- High quality assurance for usage of this type
- Washed coco coir simply means the water soluble components like sodium which has built up over time are removed
- A cheaper option to go for but it is recommended to buffer the coir with calcium nitrate and magnesium nitrate
Most of our coir comes buffered, however please read carefully and select accordingly