More about our Coco Coir Bricks
Coir is the fibrous material of the coconut fruit and is completely a homogenous material. The texture is consistent and uniform. It retains moisture well, as it is composed of millions of capillary micro-sponges that absorb and hold up to nine times its own weight in water.
Coco Coir is often used as a growing medium in hydroponic and soil-based cultivation of plants, including cannabis. Coco coir is an environmentally friendly alternative to peat moss, as it is a renewable resource and has a lower carbon footprint.
Benefits of coco coir bricks:
- Renewable resource: Coco coir is a by-product of the coconut industry, making it a renewable and sustainable resource compared to peat moss, which is harvested from bogs and marshes.
- Improved water retention: Coco coir has excellent water retention properties, allowing it to hold onto moisture and release it slowly to the roots of plants, providing consistent hydration.
- Improved air flow: Coco coir is a loose and airy growing medium, providing adequate space for roots to grow and allowing for adequate oxygen exchange, which is important for plant health.
- pH neutral: Coco coir is pH neutral, making it a suitable growing medium for a wide range of plants without the need for adjustment.
- Pathogen-free: Coco coir is free from pathogens and pests, reducing the risk of disease and pests in the grow setup.
- Convenient and easy to use: Coco coir bricks are compact and easy to store, and they can be easily hydrated and prepared for use, making them a convenient choice for growers.
- Versatile: Coco coir can be used in hydroponic systems or as a soil amendment, making it a versatile choice for growers with different growing setups.
Key Features include:
- Natural and sustainable: Coco coir is made from the fibrous outer layer of coconut shells, making it a sustainable and renewable resource.
- Lightweight and easy to transport: Coco coir bricks are lightweight and easy to transport, making them ideal for growers who need to move their growing media around.
- Versatile: Coco coir can be used as a standalone growing medium, or as an amendment to soil, hydroponic, and aeroponic systems.
- High water-holding capacity: Coco coir has a high water-holding capacity, allowing it to retain moisture and provide a stable growing environment for plants.
- Excellent aeration: Coco coir has excellent aeration properties, allowing for proper root development and reducing the risk of disease and root rot.
- Low sodium content: Coco coir has a low sodium content, which makes it safe for use with sensitive plants and reduces the risk of salt build-up in the soil.
- pH neutral: Coco coir is pH neutral, making it easy to maintain the optimal pH range for plants.
- Good nutrient-holding capacity: Coco coir has a good nutrient-holding capacity, allowing it to retain and supply essential nutrients to plants.
- The texture is consistent and uniform.
- It retains moisture well, as it is composed of millions of capillary micro-sponges that absorb and hold up to nine times it’s own weight in water. It has up to 27% of easily available water.
- It will hold and release nutrients in solution over an extended period of time without re-watering.
- It maintains an excellent air filled porosity (18%-23%).
- It has a natural pH of 5.7 to 6.5
- It has a naturally high lignin content which encourages favourable micro-organisms around the root zone.