Coir is the fibrous material of the coconut fruit and is a completely homogenous material.
- The texture is consistent and uniform.
- It retains moisture well, as it is composed of millions of capillary micro-sponges that absorb and hold up to nine times it’s own weight in water. It has up to 27% of easily available water.
- It will hold and release nutrients in solution over an extended period of time without re-watering.
- It maintains an excellent air filled porosity (18%-23%).
- It has a natural pH of 5.7 to 6.5 and
- It has a naturally high lignin content which encourages favourable micro-organisms around the root zone.